IMG_6567.JPG

Fire crews from the Columbus Division of Fire fight a blaze on South Drexel Avenue on the morning of Dec. 24.

Steve Martin, battalion chief of the Columbus Division of Fire, told the Columbus Jewish News the Dec. 24 fire in a Bexley family home was found to be accidental.

The early morning fire was caused by electrical wiring in a floor outlet under a sofa in the home’s sun room, Martin said in an email.

The Abeles family – Andy and Rachel, and their three young children, Cobi, Emery and Micah – survived the fire. They are members of Congregation Tifereth Israel in Columbus.

Officials on the scene told WBNS the flames spread to the second floor and into a stairwell. Officials said there is significant damage to the home.

A relative set up a GoFundMe account for the Abeles family and as of Jan. 10, it has raised $30,625, from 323 donors, surpassing its goal of $30,000. Friends of the family also set up a Take Them a Meal page to provide food for the family.

The family is also encouraging community members to make contributions to one of their preferred charities, including the Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus, JewishColumbus, Tifereth Israel, Pedal the Cause in memory of Eli Abeles, and The James Cancer Center at The Ohio State University in memory of Claudia Rinkov.

Visit the GoFundMe page at bit.ly/2tgeCDM and the Take Them A Meal page at bit.ly/36eIteq.

Recommended for you

Subscribe or opt-in to home delivery today!

Do you wish to receive free home delivery of the Columbus Jewish News? Click here to subscribe now.

The CJN is asking those who receive the newspaper to confirm their subscriptions to help us get a sense of our readers’ engagement. To opt-in to the newspaper if you are already receiving it at your home, click here. Home delivery to Columbus area residents is free, thanks, in part, to the support of JewishColumbus and Schottenstein Stores Corp.